How to know how much to offer for an Arizona home for sale you want to buy?

 

Gilbert AZ homes for sale sell on average for $300,000Everywhere you look, you will find a suggested value for a home. Rarely will the value be the same from one website to the next. I have often been asked why. Well, I can guarantee you no one from Zillow, Trulia, REALTOR.com, Redfin, Tax Assessor, etc., stepped foot in the home, knows the condition of the home or knows the neighborhood.

Zillow has a link in their website footer to an explanation for Zestimate values to give you any idea about how close they may be to the Sales Price for what percentage of the homes listed. Kudos to Zillow for being honest. As of 5/24/2016 Zillow says its website includes 1.7 million Phoenix homes, of which 1.5 million have a Zestimate value. Currently Chandler and Gilbert AZ homes for sale are selling on average for ~$300,000. Zillow states:

43% of the time Zestimate is within $15,000 of the sales price, 57% of the time the error was greater;
68% of the time Zestimate is within $30,000 of the sales price, 32% of the time the error was greater;
88% of the time Zestimate is within $60,000 of the sales price, 12% of the time the error was greater.

According to Zillow the median Phoenix Arizona home for sale Zestimate error is $18,600. I don’t know about you, but that is a lot of money and unacceptable.

A 5% error for 43% of the homes might be okay for some. But the problem is you don’t know if the home you are considering is in the 43% - or in the other 57% with a far greater error rate!

If you are one of the lucky ones who buy a home for all cash, you will probably offer under list price, knowing that some sellers will discount their price for the certainty of a cash sale not being undermined by an appraised value less than the contracted sales price. Most sellers will counter, not dismiss, a cash offer that is too low. Good luck getting a great value.

The rest of us will be subject to the home value determined by the appraiser. A knowledgeable real estate agent can come close to the appraised value by using the most recent, similar, comparable home sales within the same subdivision requiring the fewest adjustments (compensating factors) to gauge current market value.

This unemotional value has nothing to do with what the seller paid for the home or what the seller needs from his current home to buy his new home. Most upgrades and cost of getting the home ready for sale (paint, carpet and repairs) are required to bring the home up to selling standards. If a home is not up to selling standards, the buyers will discount their offer, accordingly, or the home will sit on the market until it is discounted by the seller or fails to sell (rejected by the market as unacceptable).

The listing real estate agent will compare the home’s floorplan, condition, features and location to current active and pending listings and the most recent sold listings to make a market adjustment to the home’s value. Hopefully, the real estate agent representing the buyer will use similar techniques to determine value. Once there is a meeting of the minds of value between the seller and buyer, then we wait for the appraiser to determine the appraised value for the home.

Our Arizona purchase contract requires the contracted sale price be equal to or less than the appraised value. If the property appraises for more than the sales price, no adjustment to the contract is made. If the property appraises for less than the sales price, either the buyer must make up the difference in additional down payment or the seller must lower the price to the appraised value or the buyer and seller negotiate a compromise where the price is reduced to more than the appraised value and the buyer agrees to increase the down payment to make up the difference between the appraised value and the adjusted sales price. If the seller and buyer cannot negotiate a new sales price, the buyer can cancel the purchase contract within 5 days of learning the property did not appraise for the sales price and have their earnest money deposit returned to the buyer.

Everyone has an opinion about value. In most cases everyone else’s opinion is trumped by the appraiser.

I have 26 years of real estate experience and rarely have an issue with an appraisal of my Arizona home for sale listings and sales. Call for my help.

Gilbert AZ Associate Broker, Sam Elam, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Arizona PropertiesAuthor: Sam Elam, Arizona Associate Broker, CRS, GRI, e-PRO, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Arizona Properties

Sam has 25+ years of full time real estate experience assisting buyers and sellers transact homes for sale in ChandlerGilbertMesaPhoenix
ScottsdaleTempe AZ and investment property.

Contact Sam to discuss your Arizona home purchase plans and schedule an appointment to see how he can help make your plans become a reality.